Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Week That Was

This week was THE WEEK THAT WAS! I, say that because it makes me reflect on the most important thing in life. Life itself, love and caring for our families, friends and acquaintances. This week , I went to our local hospital three days in a row. No, I wasn't sick. I, took a young friend to the ER at our community hospital. In my blog I mentioned that I volunteer with a hospice program. Over one and half year period, I agreed to help a young 24 year old whose father had died while receiving hospice services. She has no family involvement and for the first time in her life has ever lived alone. She no longer receives volunteer services, but my husband and myself still help her.. The day she called me to take her to the ER on Monday, then a trip to the hospital on Tues as well as wed. for tests, kept me busy. I'm not complaining. The reality, my husband and I discussed, was what would she have done in this circumstance being alone. The most important thing I recognized was the importance of people, whether family or friends, or volunteers. I, can't imagine how lonely and frightened I might be without my family and friends. My young friend will know the outcome next week re her medical tests. During this week, I had the pleasure of being assigned to a hospice patient with cancer. I, again, recognized the importance of family, friends, acquaintances. Family members providing support to this very ill person. If, anything that I will ever say, Treasure Life, Treasure Family, Treasure Friends. It has been a busy week, but it reminds me what's important in life and don't take people for granted. It was a good week. Now as I end this post, I will be gone for a few days and will not post until late next week. I, didn't want you to think that I was gone forever. I'll drop back into your blogs when I return. Take care, be safe. rose

18 comments:

  1. Rose - I know you have been a blessing to those people. I hoope you enjoy your time away and I'll see you when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Rose. Your thoughtfulness and kind words mean a lot to many people. I did not know this about you and it takes a very special person to do what you do. I wish you and your family well. And my best goes to your young friend.

    See you when you get back!

    thank you for stopping by my place. You always leave such kinds words behind.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs Rose and thank you for always reminding us to be here for each other, and what's really important. Sending good thoughts to you and your friend for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rose...big hugs to you! My dad received hospice when he was dieing with cancer, it was a huge help to both him and my mom. I cannot imagine having to go through that alone. So good of you to help in such a major way! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you've been helping with hospice. They've helped our family several times and have always been so compassionate and understanding.
    Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had a very nice one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Rose!!! All this time we've been following each other, and I never knew you were my angel!! My mom died recently (in the last three years) and Hospice was my saving grace. We had them twice in two different capacities. Those nurses told me things that the hospital nurses never did!!! Like how to tell when my mom was in pain while she was semi-concious, and how to over-rule the nurses on pain meds. You are doing a wonderful thing and will be richly blessed!! Self-sacfifice is what it's all about and what we were put there for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people hope to see an angel's wing
    Some hope to hear an angel sing.
    Some people hope an angel to see
    While kneeling in church on bended knee.
    I see them each day give a gentle touch
    Or say a kind word that means so much.
    Angels that give so selflessly
    I even know some personally.
    That would be you Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had in-house hospice for my mother during the past 7-8 months. They tended to her with gentle care trying to meet all her needs. They were never rushed and took time with the family also. It would have been almost impossible to have my mother stay with us had it not been for their loving help and direction.

    Because my family has been on the receiving end of a hospice program, let me say "Thank you," to you Rose, and all those that work with this
    program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose, you are such a dear sweet person. I so much admire hospice volunteers. I just don't think I could do it. We lost our nine year old daughter in 1986 and I think the memories would be relived over and over. What you do is such a blessing to others and I know you receive great blessings from them also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gift you are to these people. God bless you.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you Rose, for the wonderful work you do.....We'll be here waiting for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose you are so Awesome! It's really sad to see people with no family. Talk to you when you return. Also the Communication Shutdown is tomorrow Nov. 1st you wanted me to remind you, but it looks like you will be offline anyways! Peace, luv, & hugs.. J.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that she has a good friend like you to help to take care of her. Bless you for helping with the hospice care of people!

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad that you were able to help this young woman, and I hope that her tests hold good news. There are so many lonely individuals out there!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once a social worker, always a social worker. You are golden.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine how to go through without somebody to be there for me, although at times I wished it, but thankfully that didn't happen. Glad to hear you could be there for her in her time of need.

    Good luck with your new assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, Rose, you are one of those "angels among us". May God richly bless you and your husband for your service...Take care, Kathy

    ReplyDelete