Sunday, October 17, 2010

THE HORSES










On 9/27/10, I wrote a post about our neighbor's two horses. Well, I wanted to update all of you on the horses.In my post, I had explained that we allowed these horses to graze in our pasture as the neighbor didn't have the land as well as ongoing money to buy feed. Probable, he shouldn't have had these animals as well as this 23 year old man and his wife and baby were moving.This young man told us he tried to sell the horses, called horse rescue with no response. He said he would give the horses away, free, as he didn't want to sell them to be killed for dog food.As we were learning all of this, my husband and I had to contend with the horses, finding spots in our fence and then grazing in our yard. They did this a number of times. It was frustrating. It was also sad, I would struggle giving up my pets. From a practical standpoint I understand why this had to be accomplished. I, have to admit, we at times allowed these beauties in our yard to graze on the grass which was still green.
Sometimes, being a good neighbor, more issues than you anticipated develop,in our case, the horses. The good news is that a friend of ours, Eddie, agreed to take the horses. Eddie has 15 acres of pasture land. He also has a barn for the animals. Eddie has a soft heart. He owns 10 donkeys, one horse. On 10/14/10, Eddie while driving his jeep pulling the horse trailer, the jeep overheated. My first. thoughts, what are we going to do with this jeep and large trailer if stuck in the yard.Secondly, what about the horses? That's sounds terrible. To the rescue, my wonderful mechanic husband. After a short time, the problem was resolved. We baited Strawberry, the female horse and had little problem getting her into the trailer. Jackson, has been skittish. We were told he had been abused, whipped by another owner. Surprisingly, it didn't take too much effort to get him into the trailer. Following the horse trailer, we arrived at the pasture. Both horses got out of the trailer and began galloping around. The donkeys scattered as they saw "new inhabitants". There were goats running.The goats belonged to someone else. I,know that we took on too much with this situation, but sometimes you just do. The family's owner told me they had said prayers for these horses. Before leaving Eddie at the pasture, I told him he was an Angel,Eddie had tears .I'm glad to say this story has a happy ending. Our prayers were answered. I have to admit I miss the horses, but can go and see them. Yesterday, my husband said"I, wonder what the horses are doing"? Have you ever helped someone and it got more involved than you anticipated or backfired? One thing, I can say,we love animals. Thanks to all of my blogger friends who were concerned about us taking on this situation.

32 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update and I am so thankful that this story has a happy ending. It's easy sometimes to take on something that turns out to be too much. I'm thankful for folks like you all and Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy things turn out well for all concerned. I was drawn into a situation with a mother and father who seemed like nice people, thaT lived next door to us, they moved in about 2 months after we did and our kids were close to theirs in age. after about a month we noticed they were heavy drinkers of beer. We had no idea how bad it was. The father died at 42 of cancer and the mother raised those kids to be drunks themselves The father was pretty good about controlling the kids, but after that the mother made the 3 youngest ones into drunks.Because I finally told her I could not be baby sitting for other peoples kids while she brought beer over here. She harassed us in every way possible to where the other neighbuor and us got them into court and the police that we had called and he was the one that said after touring the inside of our home and seeing how much we had done to keep the light she turned toward our bedroom window plus he heaRD her tell The youngest to go and play his drums, and it was on and on. When she died at 60 her son inherited the house and his brother lives in the next block up. They are both alcoholics and we have gone through more from them. The police that threatened after coming out every night for loud music for 2 weeks finally told him they would be fined 150.00 to start with and if they had to come back another 150.00 and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose, Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment! The horse story gave me tears! You and your husband have huge hearts to take on such a huge responsibility! Your Friend, Eddie also is a sweetheart to give them a happy home with lots of room to roam.

    Have a blessed day dear friend! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad things worked out well for the horses! Your friend, Eddie, must be very sweet to take them like that.
    Yes, you can still go visit them!
    I hope you have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,
    I've helped and it turned into a larger situation...but it was about children, not animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update, what a happy ending!! you are an excellent neighbor, wish you lived next to me!! Yes, we have taken on many responsibilities that we later wish we had not. But God always had a way to bless us through all of them, and they have turned into good memories of doing his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose - So glad to hear that this story had a happy ending!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes are good intentions get us in a puddle. So glad all worked out well. Thanks for the kind comments. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for following my blog! I'm enjoying "wandering around" in your blog, too!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's that old saying? "No good deed goes unpunished?" Well, I'm glad you found a good home for them and all is well. We just went through finding a home for our son and his wife's dog. After buying the pup (an American bulldog) they both lost their jobs. For a bit it was hairy, but he was given a good home. You both are such kind hearted souls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever helped someone and it got more involved than you anticipated or backfired?... Many many times!

    I'm glad your story had a good ending.

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad the horses were able to go to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to say thank you for your comment on my blog, Rose. It's always a pleasure to hear from you
    also, thank you for this update.
    I believe there were more than one angel working in this situation and I say thank you, to you and your husband and Eddie for giving those beautiful animals a home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the update on the horses Rose. I'm so glad that prayers were answered for these horses! Eddie truly was sent by God. I'm sure the horses are at a better place and will be well cared for. That's what they deserve.

    Have a Great Week!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh you have such an intersting life there - I know it was hard to give up the horses for you, but like you say you can visit.

    You're a sweetie Rose.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love happy endings, Rose... So many people buy or get animals and then can't take care of them... The poor animals are the ones to suffer. Thank You for finding a great place for the horses. They'll be so happy --and so will you...

    Great story... Thanks!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like things turned out well for everyone including the horses.

    (We recently purchased a POA named "Strawberry" for my granddaughter ! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your life is so interesting. I am glad I stopped by. I am also happy everything turned out ok for the horses. A nice blessing Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do not believe that anyone could have written a better ending. This would make a good story for your local tv station.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy the horses got a home!!! As a matter of fact i just got out of a situation where I took on too much. It was very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay to Eddie for coming to the rescue!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful outcome! Just warms your heart that there are folks that will take on an animal to save it from slaughter.

    I have become so emotionally invested in the neighbors dog, I hate to think of the day he will no longer be around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I missed the first part of the story about these horses, but I'm happy that the story has a good ending...It seems like there just aren't enough happy endings anymore!
    Thanks for being my blog friend, and faithful commenter. I'm so glad I found your blog, too! Have a great week! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. WHAT A NICE HAPPY ENDING, ACTUALLY A NEW BEGINNING FOR THE HORSES.....I THINK THAT IS SO NICE OF YOUR FRIEND TO DO THAT. I'M THE SAME WAY, I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE TAKEN THE HORSES IF I LIVED CLOSE TO YOU. MY GRANDDAUGHTERS LOVE HORSES. HAVE A NICE WEEK. RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes so happy this story ended with a happy ending.
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. After hearing the entire story, I must say it now makes sense why you put up with as much as you did. It's too easy to make rash judgements when a person doesn't know the whole story, and both sides of it, too. Bless your kind heart, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a story! Yes, very glad too that it has a happy ending! You guys are very, very good neighbors!!

    Have a wonderful week, Rose!
    Blessings & Hugs,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  28. I did try to reach out Rose and you may not have had to deal with hard core alcoholics But unless you know both sides, I can truly say you can not deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd say you and your husband are angels too!
    I'm glad this story had a happy ending.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  30. That Eddie must be a doll! Bless his heart. I am so happy that everything turned out well and that the horses have a good home. I can't think of anything right off hand I've done for someone that backfired but I'm sure it's happened to most of us. Hopefully we still reach out to help others though....and then find ways to deal with it if things don't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Rose, Do you accept awards? If so, I have a Happy Award for you on my blog. If you do not, that is okay also - you do not need to contact me. This is my way of saying thank you for sweet spirit, and your always interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete