Monday, July 26, 2010

MAMA MILLIE MOMENTS #8




Today, I would like to share two situations that come into my mind about my MAMA MILLIE.Whenever, I think of my mother I always think of her determination to do a job. In our city, there is a plant that has these large trees located on it's outside grounds. This particular place was where my parents patiently collected nuts for Mama to bake her famous nut roll cookies. This sounds easy, but the hard part of this activity was shelling these nuts. These were hickory nuts. They are tiny and very time consuming to shell. once my parents collected these nuts, they were like an assembly line getting as much of nut for future baking. This would drive me "nuts" as this was like using a tweaser to remove a splinter,that so small. Can you imagine how many nuts you would need to make over 10 dozen cookies? My parents were like squirrels storing food for the winter. Both of my parents are deceased. Whenever, I drive near these old hickory trees, I visualize seeing my parents with buckets collecting these "pieces of Gold". No matter how long this "nut hunting"took, it was an activity done without stopping. Death of a loved one takes the body. It doesn't take the memory that we have of that person. In order to survive facing death, concentrating on the spirit, memories,of our loved ones, is what can get us through a loss. Death has power, we need to strive to take that power away as Death cannot take away our memories of the person we lost. If we allow Death to overshadow our precious and some not so precious memories, we will struggle and Death is or can overshadow the memory that God has nurtured and we do an injustice to our deceased person who gave us moments that can't be eliminated unless we allow Death to consume us from going on with life. Hold onto your memories, live as those we lost would want for us.


Have you ever known of someone that if you told them to do something they wouldn't deviate? Mama Millie, had some health issues. Mother's doctor encouraged her to walk. Sounds good. Well from Monday through Friday, Mama Millie would get up at 4 a.m. and leave the house no later than 6 a.m. and go to a local walking track. She would complete 10 laps equal to 3 miles a day. I, don't think my mother's doctor meant mother to do this daily ritual. Many times, it was dark and there weren't any other people walking. Mother lost weight and to change her walking schedule, we talked to her Doctor and he in turn gave Mother a suggested walking schedule. If we hadn't talked to the Doctor, we wouldn't be able to change mother's schedule. Mother was like a "locomotive", once she started she wouldn't change her schedule, although we cautioned her about safety issues. Mother eventually had to give up this routine as she became ill. The gist of this story is that Mother was better than I at exercising, but that I was less stubborn and guess lazy. When I think of my Mother, I think that she was a "tough old bird",stronger than people her age as well as myself.

25 comments:

  1. Very good post. I like your reflections on death, especially.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice memory. I'm sure her cookies were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI ROSE,
    VERY NICE POST, AND VERY TRUE.
    YOUR A GOOD STORY TELLER.
    WHEN I WAS A KID WE HAD A HUGE WALNUT TREE ON OUR FRONT LAWN.
    EVERY YEAR WE DID THE SAME RITUAL AS YOUR MOM AND DAD. THERE WERE MY MOM AND DAD, AND MY 2 SISTERS AND MY SELF. WE WOULD CRACK AND SHELL THE WALNUTS. MY MOM MADE WALNUT LOAF CAKE, AND SO MANY OTHER THINGS. MEMORIES ARE GREAT.
    RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rose!

    I to like your reflections on death. It is true that they live on in our memories. I could just see them collecting all of the nuts from the trees. I'll bet there were a few squirrels that would be there barking at them! lol If you have ever been barked at by a squirrel you will know what I'm talking about! They are fierce little things! lol

    My Granny and my mom and like your mama Millie in doing what the doctor tells them. Except that they don't hear him right and you can't get them to do what you know is right.

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet. Reminds me of my mother in some ways. She picked out a lot of nuts in her day. She had a walnut tree and picked out walnuts for herself, for our family, and for friends at church. I wish I had some of the tenacity of your mother when it comes to walking. I do have an excuse - a bad knee. Any excuse will do I guess when you don't want to walk. LOL
    I agree. Memories are wonderful.
    Have a great week.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! I can imagine what hard work it was collecting and shelling nuts. My parents did similar things back in Ukraine - collecting nuts, berries, mushrooms and then processing and storing them for winter. Lots of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to think back and remember our mothers. My mom too - now that I look back especially - I see the strength my mom had. I'm glad that you have such wonderful memories of her.
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I began reading this post, I just knew that those nuts were going to be hickory nuts! Those are so hard to crack and shell!!! I enjoyed this post, and your reflections on death, especially since Jennifer just lost her own mom. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our parent's generation was the hardest working people ever. My Mom is still with us and I'm so grateful that she's active and fun to be with. Thanks for your thoughts on death and memories. My Sister's youngest son and my youngest son were like brothers. When my youngest was going off to boot camp, he made his goodbyes and I will never forget my nephew sitting on the bench in my Mom's kitchen wiping tears from his eyes after saying goodbye. He was worried that he wouldn't see his cousin again as the war in Iraq was going strong in 2004.I hugged him and told him his cousin/brother would be OK, and not to worry. My nephew was killed in a car accident 3wks after his tearful goodbye. I'll never forget all the wonderful memories our kids shared and his sweet face with the tears on his cheeks. Life can change with every breath we take.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I wish I had your mother's fortitude! I know I should exercise, and yet there always seems to be something getting in the way. And here was your mom getting up so early, determined to do what she needed to do without wavering! The strength of character you describe is rare these days ....

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's interesting! My husband and I were just talking to my father-in-law regarding a few trees on his property and the nuts in them. He said they were Hickory and proceeded to tell us how they used to eat them and how hard it was to get the nut meat. They are pretty thrifty people - but, they sure do let these nuts fall to the ground. I appreciate what you wrote - both my parents have passed away and I love to hold on to the good memories.
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I like your perspective about death. I will hold on to my memories

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's love in all the details you describe about Mama Millie's actions. Her memory is a blessing.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your post so much, love the hickory nuts story. Your idea of death hits home with me. I lost Mom in 2005, Dad in 2008. Death took them from me, but the memories will live forever. Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Death is a natural part of life and when we resist that fact - suffering happens. Rose you have the right idea - celebrate your mother's life - she's still alive in your heart and memories. Great blogging!

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rose. The "budding artist" is 39 years old. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Precious memories of your parents Rose. Thank you for sharing the story of them diligently collecting the nuts for cookies. I can just see them working side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your stories about your mama. She sounds like she was quite a lady. This is why I blog. It is nice to see the pretty photos but just as nice to hear the stories. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rose, Thank you for stopping by and reading my WW post. Your mom reminds me of my grandam. She too is in Heaven now. Grandma was a go getter. I also believe me must keep our memories alive. The body is only a vessel for our spirit. I believe peoples spirits are still with us everyday. And the memories bring joy and keep a persons spirit alive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful post today Rose. I enjoyed hearing the memories you keep!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had the determination your mother had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your mama Millie has good disposition in life and she was indeed determined to do things despite of any circumstances. Your are right death has power if you don't know how to fight with it, death will take you to grave. I had known few people who also got sick after their loveones died because they never overcome their loss and their emotion. You are stong person like your Mom ms. Rose and you learned a lot from her.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Rose! What a wonderful mother you had! And yes, she definitely sounded very strong and determined. That's how my paternal grandma was. Actually both grandmas were pretty much like that, and they both lived to be about 95, so I hope I have their long-life-genes!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My Mom and Dad came through the Great Depression and they saved and did a lot of things to always be prepared. I remember them going out to pick up the "Black Walnuts" which are harder than rocks and have to be picked out with pins as opposed to the other kind that come out much easier and in half kernels. We also went out Pine Nut picking to get the pine nuts and would always get so full of sap. Smelled good, but the sap was like glue! You would have to wash it off with kerosene.

    My Mama also did a lot of canning of fruits, jams and jellies so that we would have them during the winter. Your stories always bring back memories to me... and smiles.

    ReplyDelete