Wednesday, May 26, 2010

THINGS





While sitting in the living room, drinking a cup of coffee, my mind wanders and then I spot a number of THINGS in the room and house. Are these THINGS important? People are the most important THING in my life, so why do I value these things? It's not so much that these items are important, but that some memory is attached with that item. Looking around, I spot an old green small iron stove. My mother thought I was crazy to have this in my home. It was the 1st. antique item, I obtained. When I was a social worker, one of the nurses I made an exchange of items. I got her stove, she got my table. WE, both had no money so this was a way to get we both wanted. I, have no idea where this person is let alone if she still has my table, that was over 25 years ago. I still cherish my first item that led me to viewing antiques or what we think as antiques and being a part of history and memories. Years ago, before my first husband died, I saved money and purchased an old phonograph as a gift for my husband for his birthday. He loved music and collected old records. This was the last gift I gave to him before he died. H e so surprised and elated over this item. I have good as well as bad memories attached with this item. Over in a corner of the room, there is a bright colored glass firescreen for a coal burning fireplace. After my sister and I had visited my niece for the weekend, we saw a family selling household items. I,fell in love with this firescreen as well as a large old wooden ice box. WE, laughed as we were going to my house, where in the heck was I going to put these items. That was such a fun weekend as my sister and I rarely Go anywhere overnight. When, I was a little girl, my father made me and my sister give all of our toys away as we were moving. Dad never understood how children hated to part with their toys. One particular item I have always missed. It was a very simple doll, fits in the palm of your hand and didn't cost much but it was my special baby. A few years ago, while at an antique shop, I PURCHASEDE THIS SAME DOLL FOR 40 DOLLARS. I may have spent too much, but I have my doll near my bed and have recaptured some of my childhood. To this day, I value children having their toys. When my stepdaughter, was expecting , I let her know that I packed up some of her dolls for the future. It gave me great pleasure and warmth to send these to her so she could hand them down to her daughter. I, recognize that I would miss these THINGS,if they were lost in a fire or stolen, but that nothing can take away those memories, both good and bad, and they will always be a part of my life and history. I, guess that's why I enjoy going to antique shops, as the THINGS in the shops tell a story and are a part of some one's history. Is there any THING in your household that represents a special time or memory?

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind comment about my new shop. It is a bit scary to be starting a new venture at my age, but if you don't try something new, that would be even scarier. By the way I love the vintage green stove. It is my favorite color green. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I think it's so nice that you were able to get another doll to replace the one you had. You have some lovely items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your kind comments on my blog! You are a wonderful writer and storyteller!! I enjoyed reading this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rose, what precious memories you have shared... I too wonder what became of some of my things from my childhood, but my happy memories will never fade away... your treasures are beautiful... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, thanks so much for visiting my blog today! I LOVED this post of yours. I can so identify!!! All of my dolls were lost somehow during a move when my parents separated and later divorced. I have been sad about those dolls all my life and will always wonder what happened to them. I loved my doll babies so, so much...it makes me sad to think of them not being loved after they were lost. Isn't it amazing how things like that stay with us forever? Like you, I realize that "things" aren't really important in the scheme of things, but I too would miss many of my treasures if they were somehow taken from me. If we lived near each other I think we could have a great time "junking"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of us enjoy collecting something, but antique collectors usually find things from the past worth protecting and keeping. I love old items, and enjoy wondering about who owned each thing, and what their lives must have been like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose, I enjoyed your post so much. When my family and I moved to the USA, we felt so many dear things behind. I keep telling myself that the memories are still with me even if my favorite things are not. Yet it would be so great to have the items from my childhood now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a pack rat from a long line of pack rats! My mom kept so many of our (my sister's and my) old things. I've gotten a ton of things from my kids over the years, and I often think that I really ought to clean out a bunch of things because it's impossible to keep everything dusted properly, but each one has a memory.

    Recently, after Mike's Aunt passed away, we've thought about doing a Living Trust... even made arrangements to get one done, so now we have been asking our kids what things they remember the most and/or are interested in. It is interesting to hear about some of the things that have special meaning to them... each is so different. I've also been grateful that, so far, everyone is being so thoughtful of everyone else, as in "I'd like this for this reason, but if someone else wants it I wouldn't fight for it..." The THINGS are great memories for all of us, but the US is more important, and that is really a blessing for me.

    That stove of yours is just BEAUTIFUL! I have an old one out in my patio (bigger than yours, but still quite old). LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos. You always have the greatest things to say.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete